Pesto is the ultimate versatile topping that brightens up dishes like pasta, pizza, sandwiches, salads and so much more. Additionally, pasta is an easy crowd pleaser. So we thought, why not combine the two?
Our Hemp Heart Pesto Pasta can easily be added to (or substituted within) to accommodate vegan diets or dress up a meal for a gathering. Hemp Hearts offer up a whopping 10 grams of protein for every 3 tablespoons, making them one of the ultimate plant-based proteins.
For this recipe, we used fresh garlic, garlic scapes, and basil from CHC's farms. If you can't find garlic scapes, simply deduct that ingredient and add another cup of fresh basil leaves in place of them.
What you'll need:
|12 to 16 ounces of your favorite pasta or pasta substitute (we used linguine)|
|1 cup of fresh basil (any kind works!)|
|1 cup of garlic scapes, chopped|
|2 cloves of garlic, diced|
|1/4 cup of Carolina Hemp Company's Hemp Hearts|
|1/3 cup of parmesan, grated (use nutritional yeast if making this vegan)|
|1/3 cup of EVOO|
|Salt & pepper to taste|
What to do:
- Bring pasta to a boil, then strain once al dente.
- Add basil, garlic scapes, garlic, hemp hearts, parmesan, EVOO to a food processor or blender to combine into a paste.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking, while blending to adjust as needed. We suggest 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of each.
- Add the amount of pasta you're serving to a large mixing bowl.
- Top the pasta with the pesto paste as needed, to evenly coat all noodles.
- Garnish with a spring of basil, slice of lemon, and pinch of hemp hearts on each serving.
If you like a little more acidity or zing, we suggest a squeeze of lemon blended in with your pesto as well! The best part about this recipe is that it is totally adaptable for any occasion–top with grilled chicken or tempeh for even more nutrition, or serve cold on a warm afternoon.