Acne isn’t just something that hormonal teenagers deal with (though many teens do). Acne flare-ups can impact people of all ages—especially now as daily mask-wearing has become a part of many of our lives.
There are tons of products on the market today, all promising to eliminate acne and leave you with the clear skin you dream of. Some of these products can contain harsh products that dry out your skin or, if you have sensitive skin, can make breakouts worse.
As adults start to look for the more natural, gentle ways to relieve acne, one product is quickly becoming more and more popular: hemp oil.
What Is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition characterized by the appearance of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. While everyone develops the occasional pimple, people with acne will develop a cluster of these.
Acne can impact people of all ages and has four main causes:
- Hair follicles have become clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Too much oil production
In addition to the physical marks acne sufferers can see, acne can also impact people’s self-esteem and mental health. Those who suffer from acne breakouts may avoid going out because they don’t want people to see their acne. This can lead to feelings of sadness and a loss of self-confidence. Not to mention, acne can leave scars if not treated early and correctly.
What Is Hemp Oil?
Hemp oil is often also called hemp seed oil because of how it is created. Hemp oil comes from cold-pressing hemp seeds. The product squeezed out of the seed is hemp oil. Quality hemp oil is unrefined and green in color with a nutty flavor (if you consume it in its pure form).
In general, hemp does not contain any THC, which is the compound responsible for the high cannabis user experience. When using hemp oil, you’ll get the benefits it offers without having to worry about getting high.
Hemp oil can be sold on its own or can be used to infuse various products. Hemp-infused lotions, facial creams, and more are all on the market today, in addition to pure hemp seed oil.
There are many reasons people are starting to use hemp oil; it offers many benefits. Not only can hemp oil be used as part of your skin care routine, but hemp oil is also packed full of nutrients like omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E, leading many people to use hemp oil as a nutritional supplement.
Hemp Oil for Treating Acne
When it comes to using hemp oil for skin care, and specifically for helping to treat acne, there are many ways hemp oil can help.
- Hemp oil helps moderate oil production and balance out dry skin. When your skin is dry, it may produce too much oil, which can clog your pores and trigger breakouts. Or, if your skin naturally produces too much oil leaving you with naturally oily skin, the same issue can occur. Hemp oil can help balance your skin without clogging up your pores. So, if clogged pores cause acne, hemp oil may be a product to consider trying.
- Some suggest that hemp oil’s anti-swelling properties help reduce redness and soothe irritated skin. Hemp oil contains omega-6 fatty acids, including gamma-linoleic acid (GLA). GLA acts as an anti-swelling on the skin, soothing irritation while also encouraging new skin growth and cell generation. This can help lessen the appearance of acne and heal the skin faster.
These properties are just two ways hemp oil might help treat acne and just one of the benefits it could offer to improve your skin. Even people without acne breakouts have turned to hemp oil facial products to keep skin hydrated and looking its best.
Why Consider Hemp Oil to Treat Acne?
There are many reasons people may turn to hemp oil to help alleviate their acne breakouts, including:
- It’s a natural substance. Unlike other products that contain chemicals and other harsh ingredients, hemp oil is from the hemp plant’s seeds, making it ideal for those wanting a more natural way to treat acne.
- It’s safe for most skin types, if not all. Hemp oil is safe to use on many different skin types, from dry to oily and even combination.
- It is said to treat the underlying cause of acne. Your acne won’t go away unless you address the cause of it. Hemp oil works to treat the underlying cause of your acne while also improving your skin’s overall appearance.
Ways to Use Hemp Oil to Treat Acne
If using hemp oil to treat your acne sounds like something you want to try, there are many ways you can do so. You can:
- Apply hemp oil directly to your face or problem area.
- Use a hemp-infused face wash.
- Purchase hemp facial moisturizers.
Topical application of hemp oil may offer immediate relief and be fast-acting. But, keep in mind it can take some time to see full results from your new hemp oil facial products.
The first time you use your new hemp-based facial products, you’ll want to test them first. Apply a small amount to your hand and let the oil or lotion absorb for about 24 hours. If no reaction occurs, you can apply it to your face (though reactions are rare).
Acne can impact people of all ages, not just teenagers. To help treat acne naturally, many people are turning to hemp oil and products infused with hemp oil to get rid of this unsightly skin condition.
You should read the ingredients on any hemp-based skin care product you buy, such as lotion or face cream, to ensure it contains no ingredients that you are allergic to. Many hemp products, like hemp face wash, combine other ingredients such as charcoal and natural oils to help leave your skin looking its absolute best.
Although hemp oil is said to be a natural way to help treat acne, consult with your doctor or dermatologist before making it a staple of your skin care regimen.